During the second and third hearings in the House of Commons, there was a great deal of interest in the proceedings of the House by people watching BBC Parliament, iPlayer, the Parliament webpage, and via Twitter. Needless to say, the 'wash-up' was more of a stitch-up than anything else, lacking detailed and sustained debate. The back-bench rebels were unable to defeat the party whips. Many MPs voted despite not being present in the House of commons discussions - namely they were asked to vote in a specific direction by their party without even knowing what they were voting on. For evidence of this, see this letter from MP Stephen Timms in which he confuses Interent Protocol for Intellectual Property! - He was instrumental in rebutting criticisms of the Bill throughout the third hearing. Democracy?
Quite a few interesting tools, posts and sites emerged around the political discussion:
Letters and responses:
- ISPs like TalkTalk, BE and O2 were critical or muted with regards to the outcome via their company blogs.
- Member of the Music Union, Steve Lawson, fired off this angry letter to said union.
- Twitter was full of users announcing that they did not recognise the Bill - powered en masse by this site: http://whatdebill.org
- Several online petitions and open letters against the bill emerged. Here's one via GoPetition.
- Here's a signed letter via Tumbled Logic which amassed more than 650 signatures in a very short period of time.
- The Open Rights Group decided to fight back by organising local forums for protest and direct action
- Web entrepreneur, Stef Lewandovski, created a nice website showing how turned up, how many people watched, etc in a nice visual form at debillitated.heroku.com
- A Guardian supported/powered site asked the question http://www.didmympshowupornot.com/ (thanks to Jemima Kiss for the link to that one)
- The site theyworkforyou was the inspiration for this parody: http://www.theyworkforthebpi.com/
- Politics Posters - this site allows you to enter your postcode and check whether or not your MP voted:
South Shields Digital Economy Bill No Show Miliband
More to follow...
If you find any interesting links be sure to comment or reach me via Twitter