This is the content that featured as part of October's Plus content:
- PSN: Street Fighter 2 HD Remix
- minis: Aero Racing; Yeti Sports
- PSOne Classic: Kula World;
- Full Game Trial: Ferrari The Race Experience; Tomb Raider Underworld
- Exclusive Discounts: Burn Zombie Burn – 50% discount; Trine – 50% discount; Alien Breed: Impact – 20% discount; Gravity Crash – 50% discount; Ace Armstrong Vs. The Alien Scumbags – 20% – day 1 discount; Shatter soundtrack and Dynamic Theme – 50% discount
- Exclusive DLC: Fallout 3: Point Lookout; Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta; Fallout 3: Operation: Anchorage; Fallout 3: Broken Steel; Fallout 3: The Pitt
- Dynamic Themes: Exclusive Move ‘Start the Party’ theme; exclusive ‘Halloween’ theme
- Premium avatars: Pain: Jarvis and Le Toot Avatars; SingStar: Wannabe and Rising Star Avatars; Exclusive Plus Halloween avatars
- Burn Zombie Burn PlayStation Home item
In anticipation of the release of Fallout: New Vegas, the DLC for Fallout 3 was released. Sony also released a Killzone 3 theme, the first 5000 to be downloaded scored the lucky lot a slot on the beta of the game. I was fortunate enough to be one of the first 5000 and have been playing Killzone 3 since the last week of October. This is what I was (partially) referring to when I said I could see some value in the service, especially as the alpha build of the multiplayer is pretty darn good.
In addition, new subscribers get an extra 3 months worth of Plus for free - 15 months for the price of 12. There was more value to be found in a subsequent announcement that the zombie-tinged DLC for Red Dead Redemption was going to be discounted for Plus customers. Nice.
This is what October's spending looked like for me:
Hmmm. Had I bought all the things I downloaded they would have cost £80.87! However, I already owned much of what was given away in October. After I remove these the October savings come in around £18.65. I'm not convinved I would have paid for the minis or the PS1 game. Last time I checked in the value of savings came in at £64.56. After four months these savings now amount to £83.21.
The real value came in the discounted price for Trine and RDR's Undead Nightmare - a saving of £5.29 in total. It's these kind of discounts I'd like to see more of in the future in order to say Plus is worth the money.
Oh yeah, that and the Killzone 3 Beta ;-D